For St. Clair students, January, 2018 may feel like it has two New Year’s Days within it: the “conventional” one as we bid farewell to 2017, and an “academic” one when the strike-prolonged first semester ends and the second half of the scholastic year commences on the 22nd.
In terms of activities staged by the Student Representative Council (SRC), the month will feature some traditional annual events; but it will also see some new – or, at least, “displaced” – events, reflecting the postponed-from-December exam period.
Here’s an overview:
• January features the initial stages of the election process to choose student leaders for the 2018-19 academic year. That includes the nomination schedule for Executive positions on the SRC, and the availability of application packages for the council’s appointed Directorships. See the separate Scene story about all of that at http://stclair-src.org/news/need-know-news/src-seeks-execs-and-directors.
• All this week (until Saturday the 6th), Saints Gaming is holding try-out tournaments for the varsity e-gaming team. Here’s that schedule:
• During the lead-up to the first semester exam period, the SRC will be staging the “Stress Less Fest” from Monday the 8th to Friday the 12th. Look for give-aways, games, and free healthy snacks in and around the Student Life Centre to ease your anxiety. The Therapy Dogs continue to make their weekly Wednesday visits to the college too.
• On January 19, as first semester exams conclude, a whole batch of new St. Clairians will be welcomed to campus. Twenty or so programs features a mid-year launch, so the school’s enrolment will be boosted by that “January intake” – including another 1,000 or so international students. It is expected, also, that many students who withdrew from college in November due to the pressures associated with the strike may return for their “do-over” now. An Orientation session will be staged in the Student Life Centre on the 19th, and then everyone starts on new semester on the 22nd …
• … Which makes the week of the 22nd to the 26th something of a “Welcome Back Week”. The SRC will stage:
– another (a)rousing game of Dirty Bingo with Sabin on Tuesday the 23rd in the Student Life Centre from 8 to 10 p.m.;
– on Wednesday the 24th, pop into the Student Life Centre from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. for the SRC-staged Carnival. Games, inflatable attractions, cotton candy, etc.; and
– on Thursday the 25th at 12 noon in the Student Life Centre, enjoy Kobbler Jay – the annual campus performance by one of Canada’s best buskers.
• Also on Wednesday the 24th, the monthly Class Rep meetings will be staged by the SRC: 5:30 p.m. at main campus, 6 p.m. downtown.
• And also on Wednesday the 24th, the 19th annual Joint St. Clair/University of Windsor Job Fair will take place, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.. This year, it is the university’s turn to play host to the gigantic event, so it will be staged at the St. Denis Athletic Centre (corner of Huron Church Road and College Avenue). Over 100 local, regional and national employers – many of them in a hiring frame-of-mind – will have booths at the Job Fair, offering summer-time jobs and full-time careers to students, soon-to-be-grads and alumni. Have your resumes ready! Shuttle buses from all St. Clair campuses will be available to transport students to the event. Much more info is available at www.stclaircollege.ca/jobfair.
• Finally (unless more stuff is added to the calendar), the annual “Swab-A-Thon” will be staged in the SRC Marketplace (far west end of the cafeteria) on Tuesday, January 30, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m.. Every year for the past half-decade or so, St. Clairians have turned out in droves to have the inside of their mouths scraped with a big Q-Tip in order to register as prospective donors with the national stem-cell/bone-marrow registry. More info about that at http://www.givemarrow.net/.