As we bid farewell to November’s misadventures, the Student Representative Council (SRC) has released its December campus calendar – highlighted by a chance to party on the evening before the last day before the (abbreviated) Christmas Break.
On the night of Thursday, December 21, the SRC will stage an “Ugly Christmas Sweater Pub”, in the Student Life Centre, with doors opening at 9 p.m..
It’s been a few years since such a seasonal wardrobe extravaganza was held on campus. But, given that the always popular Hallowe’en Pub was cancelled by the you-know-what, the SRC thought students might appreciate a party of this nature.
Also during December …
• Tomorrow (Saturday the 2nd), the SRC – in conjunction with the college’s administration and the Alumni Association – stages the annual Family Christmas Party for student-parents and staffers and their children. From 10 a.m. to 12 noon, the cafeteria will be the scene of games, snacks and a visit from Santa Claus.
• From Monday the 4th to Thursday the 7th, the Exodus Escape Room will have its mobile, “Christmas-themed” challenge set up in the cafeteria. Drop by, get locked in, and solve the clues to free yourself.
• On Wednesday the 6th, Sarah Lewis will be in the cafeteria (and elsewhere on campus), collecting donations for her “Socks Warm The Heart” charity. Since she was seven years old – and that’s almost a decade ago – Sarah has been collecting contributions to purchase socks and other items for the local homeless. To-date, she’s converted approximately $100,000 in donations into over 25,000 pairs of socks and other forms of assistance to local shelters.
• During the week of the 11th to the 15th, the SRC table (near the entrance to the Student Life Centre) will invite students to register their “Winter Wishes”. What would help to alleviate your stress, to help you to get through this semester and fully enjoy the holiday season? If the SRC can make your wish come true – individually, or collectively on behalf of all students – it will attempt to do so.
• The SRC will get a jump on some of those wishes the following week with everyone’s favourite “freebie”. It will be doling out free coffee on Wednesday and Thursday, the 20th and 21st.
• Reminder: The annual Christmas show staged by Music Theatre Performance and Entertainment Technology students will be held at the Chrysler Theatre in the Centre for the Arts from the 14th to 16th. As one of the last celebrations of the college’s 50th anniversary this year, the show will have a 1967 retro theme.
• On the 16th-17th weekend, the Information Technology Club stages its annual “Christmas LAN” networked computer-gaming tournament in the Student Centre. Half of the proceeds from the $10 admission fee will go to the Downtown Mission.
• On Friday the 22nd, the annual Christmas concert by The S’Aints takes place in The Colosseum of Caesars Windsor. The rock band, featuring Jody Raffoul and Jeff Burrows, has been staging the concert for the past half-dozen years, in partnership with (among other agencies) St. Clair College. Ticket- and CD-sales support several local food banks and social service agencies, and the college’s scholarships and bursaries fund.
• On every Wednesday during the month (the 6th, 13th and 20th), stress-relieving therapy dogs will be in the Student Life Centre from 12:15 to 1 p.m..
• The college will be closed on December 25th (Christmas Day), the 26th (Boxing Day) and the 31st (New Year’s Eve Day). But it will be open on the 27th, 28th and 29th, to allow students to use computer labs, the library, and other facilities necessary to assist them with academic activities. The SRC office will also be open on those days, from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m..