Feral Fire

griff fire

If the college needed a lesson about why smokers shouldn't hang around exterior doorways as they're puffing – aside from the fact that it is illegal under both provincial and municipal health regulations – the potential safety problems were emphasized on February 1st when a fire broke out at the entrance to the Student Centre.

A day or two ago, some animal lovers placed a couple of cardboard boxes up against the building as "homes" for the college's feral cats, to keep them warm during the recent cold weather.

It would seem that someone tossed a cigarette butt close to – or into – the kitty beds, igniting them ... which then ignited (and melted) the big plastic bin containing sidewalk-de-icing salt ... which then melted part of the glass wall on the exterior of Griff's Cavern restaurant.

 

griff fire

The Windsor Fire Department was summoned to the scene to check the restaurant's interior wall with a thermal detector, to ensure that no smouldering embers would cause more damage.

griff fire